Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Chicks All Around

Well, it's about that time again. At this point all the osprey in Montana that are going to have chicks, have had their chicks. Some took longer than others, some were early, but they're all born and they are awkward little fellas! I think it's interesting how the young hardly resemble their mothers in many bird species. A fawn looks like its mother deer, but an osprey chick looks like an awkward little shiny black bird that wobbles around at first! Today I realized that even though you might not be able to tell if the chicks are born, the parental behavior can tell a story in itself. I haven't studied the behavior of many other bird mothers, but I have to believe that ospreys are great mothers. First off, they are extremely defensive.  And second, they seem to do everything in their power to not abandon the nest. And when they do, they are never out of sight.  I watched a nest on the old river bridge just outside of Hardin today. At first she proceeded with alarm calls, as expected. But for the first time that I've been watching nests this year, she left and the male was away from the nest as well. And then something else happened that I can't explain, but do intend to find out.  The female flew back to her nest, appeared to steady herself, then she fluffed out her wings, not extended, but seemed to shelter her chicks, and then the feathers on her neck where her markings are seemed to extend outward. As soon as she assumed this position, her chicks waddled up to her. I observed this behavior at two different nests, both with chicks. I will let you all know what I think it is as soon as I find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment